One of 21 structures along the Poly Canyon trail is the Geodesic Dome aka the Fuller Dome, named after famed architect Buckminster Fuller who lectured during his visit to Cal Poly.
Built in 1957, it was the first permanent geodesic dome on the West Coast and was featured at the 25th anniversary Poly Royal and stood as the entrance to the architecture building before being moved to the Canyon. It was thought that eventually it would become a college chapel. Weighing 6,000 pounds and constructed of about one mile of one-inch pipe and 19,000 nuts, bolts and washers, the dome was build by five students. When the dome was moved, it took more than 100 students to do it.
Photo and story by www.PhotoByVivian.com